What is a Pinched Nerve?
There are several causes of a pinched nerve. Because it involves the application of too much pressure around a nerve, it can happen more often than expected. Below are some of the common reasons you may experience a pinched nerve.
- Arthritis (rheumatoid or arthritis in the wrist)
- Repetitive work or movements that cause stress on a particular nerve
- Physical activities such as sports or active hobbies
What are Some of the Common Risk Factors?
While the condition can impact almost anyone, certain factors place people at a higher risk. Below you will find some of the common risk factors to be aware of.
- Certain Medical Conditions: For those who have rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid disease, or have experienced bone spurs, your risk is higher. Inflammation can compress nerves and cause issues. Conditions like bone spurs can thicken your bones and create less space for the nerves to operate freely.
- Obesity and Diabetes: For those who are obese or have diabetes, extra weight can put more pressure on nerves.
- Women and Pregnancy: The weight gain and water retention that comes with pregnancy can put more pressure on nerves.
- Repetitive Use: If you repetitively do similar movements with your hand, wrist, or shoulder, you can increase your chances of getting a pinched nerve. The overuse puts pressure on specific nerves.
- Bed Rest: If you are put on bed rest due to pregnancy, injury, or due to a medical condition, you can increase the probability of getting a pinched nerve. This is because the continuous and prolonged periods of lying down can put more pressure on your nerves.
What are the Treatment Options for Pinched Nerve?
If you have been experiencing the symptoms above for a week with no respite, contact our office. We can help diagnose your issue and discuss treatment options with you. While we like to take a conservative approach to treatment, some patients may need more intensive care. Depending on your specific and unique needs, we can provide you with the support you need for surgery.
Initial treatment options at Yashar Neurosurgery for this condition begin conservatively. Dr. Yashar may prescribe anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, and injections. This will be catered to your unique needs as each patient is different. If conservative treatment is unsuccessful, Dr. Yashar may suggest surgery. Dr. Yashar and his staff utilize the most innovative surgical techniques and procedures to treat spinal conditions. Dr. Yashar can treat a pinched nerve with several surgical methods. Most patients respond well to a decompression procedure for spinal issues such as this.
While we are happy to provide you with the necessary medical care to treat your condition, we also want to help you maintain your health and prevent any future issues. Below you will find some standard preventative measures. We will also advise you on any prevention measures you can take that would be specific to your own medical needs.
- Weight: Maintaining a healthy weight through a wholesome diet and frequent exercise can significantly help with prevention.
- Diet and Exercise: Eating a diet filled with healthy proteins, vegetables, and fruits can benefit your overall health. Also, you should engage in physical activity at least four times a week for 30 minutes. Strength training and stretching are beneficial for prevention.
- Posture: Maintaining good posture, not crossing your legs, and not staying in the same position for long periods can help. Poor posture, crossing your legs, and staying in the same place can all place unnecessary pressure on your nerves.
- Breaks: If you need repetitive activities for work, take breaks every twenty to thirty minutes and walk to the bathroom, get some water, or stretch. This can help disrupt the pattern that can lead to a pinched nerve.
Dr. Yashar at Yashar Neurosurgery
Dr. Yashar is the preeminent spine surgeon in Los Angeles. He is highly accomplished and experienced in the spine, brain, and neuro-interventional procedures. Contact Yashar Neurosurgery for a consultation today.
I REALIZED THAT DR. YASHAR GENUINELY CARES TO CURE HIS PATIENT WITH OR WITHOUT MONEY, WHICH MAKES HIM AN EXCEPTIONAL DOCTOR IN A CITY THAT MOST PHYSICIANS DON’T EVEN LISTEN TO THEIR PATIENTS, AND ALL THEY DO IS TO COLLECT $ AND IGNORE PATIENTS. AT DR. YASHAR OFFICE I DEALT WITH AMBER AND MICHAEL WHO HAS BEEN A CREDIT TO THEIR PROFESSION AND WENT ABOVE AND BEYOND PATIENT SATISFACTION.