Spinal tumors can emerge out of nowhere, gradually growing in size and potential danger if left unchecked. Originating at the base of the spine’s canal or within the spine itself, these tumors can impact the entire vertebrae and even do fatal damage to your body.
What Spine Tumors Are Dangerous?
While various types of spinal tumors exist, it is important to answer the question: What spine tumors are dangerous? Some spinal tumors are more harmful than others, but their early warning signs remain consistent. Today, your spine tumors treatment specialist in Los Angeles will shed light on different spinal tumor types, their warning signs, and how dangerous they can be if they are left to grow bigger.
The Main Types of Spinal Tumors
Spinal cord tumors are categorized based on their relation to the spinal cord’s protective membranes. They can appear in different locations around the body, which can make them difficult to diagnose at first glance. It requires the skills of a careful and experienced surgeon to correctly identify a spinal tumor.
The major types of dangerous spinal tumors include:
- Intramedullary Cancers: These develop within spinal cord cells, such as gliomas or astrocytomas. They originate within the spine and radiate outward, sometimes spreading to other parts of the body.
- Extramedullary Cancers: These form in the membrane encasing the spinal cord or the nerve roots stemming from it. While they do not originate in the spinal cord, these tumors can exert pressure on the spine and cause similar spine issues. Examples of extramedullary tumors include neurofibromas and meningiomas.
Spinal tumors can originate from various bodily regions, metastasizing to vertebrae, the support network around the spinal cord, or the spinal cord itself. Determining the exact tumor source can be challenging, as it may have spread from another body area. This is why it is so important to recognize tumor symptoms ASAP.
Treat Spine Tumors As Quickly As You Can
Regardless of your ability to pinpoint the source of back pain, it is crucial to seek medical attention right away. Any pain or discomfort warrants attention from a reputable spine specialist. Should any of the mentioned symptoms arise, consult your doctor right away. If these symptoms escalate, your doctor may need to intervene with a surgical treatment to remove part or all of the tumors in your spine.
Signs of Dangerous Spine Tumors
Although some tumors can remain undetected while growing, they tend to evoke specific symptoms sooner or later. As the tumor expands, it becomes more and more dangerous. You need to schedule an appointment with your surgeon if your condition is causing one or more of the following symptoms:
- Cognitive Impairment: Difficulty concentrating or thinking coherently.
- Pain Radiating: Pain extending from the spine or tumor site.
- Muscle Weakness: Diminished muscle function and strength.
- Temperature Sensitivity: Heightened sensitivity to extreme temperatures.
- Time-Dependent Pain: Pain exacerbating at night or in the morning.
- Loss of Control: Inability to manage bowel or bladder functions.
- Paralysis: Varying degrees of body paralysis.
- Sensory Loss: Diminished sensation in specific body areas.
- Balance Disturbances: Frequent falling, tripping, or impaired balance.
These symptoms might not all manifest simultaneously or at all. It is still a good idea to closely monitor the health of your spine so you can check in with your doctor as soon as you notice a change.
Progressive Spine Care Awaits!
Dr. Yashar, renowned for top-notch spine tumor treatment in Los Angeles, extends plenty of treatment options to patients grappling with pain and uncertainty. You can gain access to the most progressive treatment in the area after receiving a comprehensive diagnosis from our experts. To learn more about identifying dangerous spine tumors, contact Dr. Yashar right away.